Wednesday 23 March 2011

Book #5 The Art Of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein

The Art Of Racing In The Rain

This book was one of Clare Balding's picks on 'My Life In Books', and, I was somewhat unsure about it, thinking "it's a book about a dog" but it's so much more than that really, beautiful and moving in a way that 'One Day' just wasn't.

The dog, Enzo, is the novels protagonist with events being told from his perspective. Enzo prides himself on being almost human, and we read the real feelings he has that as a voiceless dog he cannot share with the world. He is owned by a young couple Denny and Eve, who later have a little girl but when things start to go wrong, and Enzo's sense of smell tells him Eve is sick, he cannot tell his owners

As a series of dreadful events begin to change Denny's life, it is Enzo who remains the constant, a true man's best friend. I've never owned a dog, but i think anyone who has will fall in love with  Enzo, I fell in love with him without being a dog lover. A truly lovely read, I think it's the best book I've read so far in this challenge.
9/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment