Saturday 23 June 2012

The White Lie by Andrea Gillies

The White Lie

Regular readers will note that this book unlike all my other blogposts is not preceded with a number informing my readership where I'm up to in the 100 books challenge, this is because The White Lie has the ignominious distinction of being the first book this year that I have failed to finish, and only the second novel in the last two years.

The novel is the story of the Salter extended family. Its narrator Michael is dead, and his death and the complex circumstances around it continue to haunt the family. I began the book and read about 25% of it according to my Kindle, but I wasn't enjoying it. I didn't like the style, nor the characters, found the plot though initially intriguing lacking in credibility, that such a big scandal could or particularly WOULD  be covered up by such a large number of people of all ages over such an extended period of time. I also found the relationship definitions (as in who is whose sister, cousin etc) between characters confusing.

I left it and read something else, but I found when I re-opened it and came back to it, I just didn't want to carry on, I didn't care and I wasn't engaged, and I simply couldn't face plodding on interminably over what was a large percentage of book remaining. I bought this novel because of the sheer amount of 5 star reviews on Amazon, and now find myself utterly amazed by them, I don't know what I missed that seemed to click with so many, but blimey this book was boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment